Essential oils can be added while making candles as they add a unique and wonderful aroma to your candles, making them especially appreciated as gifts or just for enjoying the scent in your home. But it can be tricky to know which essential oils work best when making candles.
To help make the task easier, we’ve compiled this guide on the best essential oils for making candles. We’ll also provide some DIY recipes that you can use right away, so you don’t even have to worry about researching the combinations yourself. So, if you want to create beautiful homemade candles with gorgeous aromas, read on!
The best essential oils for candles
If you’re looking to make your own candles, you’ll need to choose the right essential oils. The best essential oils for candles are those that have a strong scent and can hold up to the heat of candle-making. Some of the best essential oils for candles include:
- Lavender: Lavender essential oil is one of the most popular essential oils for candles. It has a fresh, floral scent that is perfect for relaxation.
- Peppermint: Peppermint oil has a strong, refreshing scent that is invigorating and energising. It’s perfect for use in candles that are meant to be burned during the day.
- Rosemary: Rosemary oil has a herbaceous, woody scent that is grounding and calming. It’s ideal for use in candles that are meant to be burned at night.
- Lemon: Lemon essential oil is a popular choice for making candles because of its fresh and invigorating scent. The oil is extracted from the peel of the lemon fruit and is known for its uplifting and energising properties. Lemon oil can help to freshen the air and can be used to create a clean and refreshing atmosphere in a room.
- Jasmine: Jasmine essential oil is extracted from the flowers of the jasmine plant and is known for its calming and relaxing properties. Jasmine oil can help to create a soothing and peaceful atmosphere in a room.
Benefits of using essential oils in candles
Essential oils are a natural way to scent your home and can be used in many different ways. Candles are one of the most popular ways to use essential oils, as they can help create a relaxing atmosphere while filling your home with a wonderful smell. There are many different benefits of using essential oils in candles, which include:
- They can help you relax: One of the main reasons why people use candles is to relax. Essential oils can help promote relaxation by filling the air with their calming scents. Lavender essential oil is one of the best essential oils for relaxation, but chamomile and ylang-ylang oil are also great choices.
- They can improve your mood: If you’re feeling down or stressed, certain essential oils can help improve your mood. Some of the best essential oils for mood enhancement include citrus oils like lemon and orange, as well as peppermint oil.
- They can boost your energy levels: If you’re feeling tired or sluggish, some essential oils can give you a much-needed energy boost. Peppermint oil is one of the best essential oils for energy, but ginger and grapefruit oil are also great choices.
- They can help you focus: If you have trouble focusing or tend to be easily distracted, some essential oils can help improve your focus and concentration. Rosemary oil is one of the best essential oils for concentration, but basil and peppermint oil are also good choices.
How to make a candle with essential oils
There are a few things you need to know before you get started making candles with essential oils. First, choose high-quality essential oils that are meant for aromatherapy use. These will be the most potent and likely to give your candles a strong scent.
Second, decide what type of wax you want to use. Soy wax is a good option because it burns cleanly and slowly, giving your candle a long burn time. beeswax is another option, but it can be more expensive.
Third, choose wicks that are made from natural materials like cotton or paper. This will help your candles burn more evenly and prevent them from smoking.
Finally, have everything else you need on hand before you begin: candle jars, melting pot, thermometer, wooden stir sticks, and something to catch drips (a plate or parchment paper works well).
Now that you have everything you need, let’s get started! Begin by melting the wax in your melting pot over low heat. Once the wax has melted, remove it from the heat and add the essential oils of your choice. Stir well to combine the two ingredients thoroughly.
Next, use a thermometer to make sure the wax is cooled to around 130 degrees Fahrenheit before pouring it into your candle jars. Doing this will help prevent the formation of cracks in the wax as it cools. Pour slowly and carefully so that you don’t spill any hot wax on yourself! Finally, place the wicks in the centre of each jar
Recipes for making candles with essential oils
As candles become more popular, many people are interested in learning how to make them. While there are many different ways to make candles, using essential oils is a great way to add a unique and personal touch to your candles. Not only will your candles smell great, but you can also choose essential oils that have specific benefits.
There are a few things you need to know before you start making candles with essential oils. First, it’s important to choose the right type of wax for your candles. There are several types of wax on the market, but soy wax is the best choice for making candles with essential oils. Soy wax is natural and burns cleanly, so it won’t pollute the air in your home like some other types of the wax can.
Next, you need to choose the right type of wick for your candles. The wick should be made from natural materials like cotton or linen. Stay away from wicks made from synthetic materials like nylon, as they can release harmful chemicals into the air when burned.
Once you have the wax and wick sorted out, it’s time to choose your essential oils. Lavender oil is a good choice for relaxation, lemon oil can boost energy levels, and peppermint oil can help improve concentration. You can also mix and match different oils to create your own unique scent.
Tips for getting the most out of your candles
When it comes to making candles, there are a few things you can do to ensure that you get the most out of your candles. Here are some tips:
- Trim the wick before each use. This will help prevent the candle from smoking and will also help it burn more evenly.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep the area around your candle clean and free of debris.
- When your candle is finished burning, allow it to cool completely before disposing of it properly.
Making your own candles with essential oils is a great way to bring fragrance into your home. With the right combination of essential oils and some basic supplies, you can create beautifully scented candles at home.
We hope our guide has provided you with the knowledge and inspiration needed to craft your very own homemade candles. So get creative, experiment with different blends of essential oils, and enjoy getting cozy in front of your beautiful new candle!